FALL IN LOVE WITH A POEM TODAY!



"There's no money in poetry, but then there's no poetry in money either." ~
Robert Graves



Monday, February 7, 2011

         Remembrance

Driving south in steady rain
one day past Thanksgiving,
I'm splashed by passing
trucks on the old highway,
grateful to be far
from interstate madness.


A crusty red pickup
pulls off pavement
into tall, drenched
grass;
hitched to the truck is
a flat, open trailer,
optimism in metal.


He’s a hunter
hoping for a deer.


Weary from a lifetime
of judging, I’ve sworn off.
It’s not my job
to judge.






Instead, I remember a doe
I met one day in the foothills
who didn’t run away
at the sight of me.
There was more majesty in her
neck than in an entire human--
elegant, trusting, strong.


She is with me now, her
eyes knowing things mine
will never see.
I still feel her tenderness.


She was not afraid.


No Pulitzer or Nobel
could have meant
more than the honor
of her trust
that day,
blessing
and benediction
in a cathedral
where one need not bow
to the Creator
nor offer sacrifice
to know Divine
gifts in the ragged
reality of humanness.

No comments:

Post a Comment