FALL IN LOVE WITH A POEM TODAY!



"There's no money in poetry, but then there's no poetry in money either." ~
Robert Graves



Sunday, February 20, 2011

from Lake Luna

Tank

What’s the old fellow
up to this morning
resting himself so near
the big cypress?
Would a gator
need his back scratched
I wonder...

He stares me down
then glides away
leaving his wake
of superiority.



IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII


The Weight of Blood

Red clouds
in the lake
this June morning,
a mystery,
with sky reflecting
only blue and white.
It's not sunset after all.

I stare from upstairs window
as turtle heads poke
through water surface.
Do they understand
the red cloud?
Are they turtle-talking
about it?
A young gator, motionless
and mostly eyes,
studies
thick grasses
along the bank.

It could be blood, I think,
these red clouds beyond my binoculars;
I push the thought away,
not wanting it to be blood.

But what else?
And why not?
Can I possibly believe
that all life is secure in this lake,
because I wish it so,
that it’s all here
in its silky serenity
for the sole purpose
of filling
the holes in my heart?

I wish I'd inherited
the denial gene
all the others got.

Is blood heavier than water?
I learned from porch tales
and small-town gossip
that it’s thicker.

Never interested
in cold facts or science,
the exactitude of things,
I don’t know the weight
of blood, factually speaking.
I can tell you from experience
that it’s heavier than it should be.

Much heavier.

[The Weight of Blood was published in Pluff Mud Mag, a literary journal for Lowcountry poets and writers,  February 2011.]


1 comment:

  1. I love, love this poem! It speaks to me, Lucinda.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete